I've been working on a small applique project and thought I would show you. It will be a pillow when it's done, but right now it's just this ...
I wanted to use more of my Strawberry Fields fabric but I didn't want to make another large quilt, so I am settling on a pillow. The butterfly has 27 pieces plus antennae! I was going to do fusible applique, but they didn't work out so well this time, so I went back to my preferred method of freezer paper/starch. I finished the right half of the butterfly, but am having to really work at the left half. The body (light brown piece laying on the right) was a real challenge for me. All the segmented parts to it were not looking as good as I wanted, so I stuffed a piece of fabric, sewed it shut with a zipper foot and then just wrapped the threads around each segment by hand. It turned out a wee bit smaller width-wise than it was supposed to be according to my drawn pattern, so now I have to align the left side pieces a little to the right to be sure that there will not be any gaps between the wings and the body. The antenae will be hand embroidered and maybe I'll add a little embellishment!
Once I am finished with the butterfly, I will surround it with borders of those little 1" squares that already sewn together ... up on the top of the photo ... and make blue (I think) piping to go around the edges.
Well, back to work! Have a great Sunday!
Quilts Sew Shabby